Monday, October 1, 2007

Roxanne Moraga-Adams '76

I became a Christian a few years after graduating from Venice . In my Junior and senior years in high school as well as two years after graduation….. I was sowing alot of wild oats. I had no focus, morals, or thought for the future and/or consequences for my actions. Life had become one big party… until I unexpectedly became pregnant. I considered having an abortion, but thought I’d always regret that decision…. So after much thought, I decided to keep the baby. During that time, I started thinking about God, and if he was up there, then I would try communicating with Him. I did, and believed without a shadow of a doubt that He was REAL. I ended up having a miscarriage, and became confused about my thoughts and purpose for my life. I started searching and listening to my heart. A few months later, I accepted Jesus Christ into my life, and became a new person….. literally, I became someone else. No longer did I have desires to party, and lead a purposeless life. My life’s direction changed.

I devoured the bible by studying all the time. My mind exploded with the things I was learning. I became a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church . I’ve been in many different states over the past 30 years, but I’ve always attended churches from the same denomination.

About 4 years ago, God put on my heart and the heart of some others, to start a Seventh-day Adventist church in out town of 12,000 people. The one I had been attending for 15 years was 20 miles away. A group of us decided to ‘church plant’ , as it is called. We started with 8 people and have grown to 27, with visitors coming, having up to 45 worshipping at times. About 2 years ago, I had the opportunity to join a program for those that would like to become lay pastors. Becoming a student after all these years, was definitely not my cup of tea…. But God was calling me to do this, so I followed. We kept thinking God would provide us a pastor, never realizing until recently, that He wanted me to continue leading, but in a different capacity. It has had it’s ups and downs, but the ups have made it all worth while. God has certainly blessed our efforts to share the great news of salvation and all the blessings He has in store for those that respond to His call on their hearts.

Some people that I have shared this with cannot believe how I used to be/used to do, and who/what I am today. It’s been quite the journey!

Thanks for doing this…. if you have any comments, or questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. The attached picture shows me with those new members that were baptized in June in the pool at my house.

Roxanne
Class of '76

No comments: